Writing, Revising, and Publishing
Note: If you are wondering about the story behind Mom Novelist with a Deadline, click here for my Confession.
I'm still in the middle of finishing up my Fourth Self-Published Book. For the last month, my Saturdays and Sundays have looked like this:
Dust bunnies the size of The Easter Bunny are everywhere. The toilets are a week overdue in needing to be cleaned.
But I have not been slacking. I've been putting in time at The Day Job, time at The Momming, time on The Treadmill, and time at Writing/Revising/Drafting/Rethinking.
What exactly does the writing process look for like for me? I broke it down:
Fast-Writing (July 11-15)
I fast wrote this story, thinking it would be an 8,000-word story. I wrote 6,000 words. (I try to get to 2/3 to 3/4 the number of words I'll need. You'll see why soon enough.)
Fast-Writing Other Stories
July 15-July 19 (Next book in the Rent a Man Series)
July 26-August 6 (Next book in the His Favorite Series)
Draft 5 (September 6-September 7)
I proofread and revised superficially for Draft 5. I created my last checklist.
Draft 6 (September 7-September 9)
Because I have a LOT to choose from (this is just 9 of 52 on my Kindle):
So yes, I am still revising. I had hoped to be done by September 1, but there was too much yet to do.
Then I aimed for September 8, but my energy wasn't up to par with my optimistic expectations (I have to get to bed by 1 am or I'm useless).
I would be ready by September 11, but that's a day that I don't want to launch anything on, out of respect for the day.
(Bad segue alert.) Both of my leads, by the way, are Gingers:
Too bad I couldn't have had my story done by on those dates. Maybe once the days are 48 hours long... Or, I could live on Venus. The day there is 116 days long. Um, yes please!
Until next Sunday! (The Eve of the Launch!)
I'm still in the middle of finishing up my Fourth Self-Published Book. For the last month, my Saturdays and Sundays have looked like this:
![]() |
| Where can I get this? Seriously. |
Dust bunnies the size of The Easter Bunny are everywhere. The toilets are a week overdue in needing to be cleaned.
![]() |
| I wish I was bionic sometimes. |
But I have not been slacking. I've been putting in time at The Day Job, time at The Momming, time on The Treadmill, and time at Writing/Revising/Drafting/Rethinking.
![]() | ||
| The Post-Draft 4 Checklist |
![]() |
| The Pre-Draft 6 Checklist |
![]() |
| "Procrastinating" by creating covers |
![]() |
| The revision food. That I consumed way too quickly! |
What exactly does the writing process look for like for me? I broke it down:
Fast-Writing (July 11-15)
I fast wrote this story, thinking it would be an 8,000-word story. I wrote 6,000 words. (I try to get to 2/3 to 3/4 the number of words I'll need. You'll see why soon enough.)
Fast-Writing Other Stories
July 15-July 19 (Next book in the Rent a Man Series)
July 26-August 6 (Next book in the His Favorite Series)
I fast wrote other stories, giving BMRAM: Glampfest! a breather.
Draft 2 (August 10-August 15)
Draft 2 (August 10-August 15)
I proofread and I revised to create Draft 2. I didn't use notes, but I just read for, well, my insane moments, i.e., I tried to fix the parts that looked like a first grader had transitioned and plotted and characterized. I didn't perfect anything, and I embraced this knowledge.
To attack this task, I imported Draft 1 into Scrivener and worked chapter by chapter so my brain didn't become overwhelmed and explode. My word count at the end: 8,000.
I Sent to Alpha Readers. This is where my critique partners* read through my story and tell me who they hate and what they hate. Very, very valuable information. *They have been my CPs for 10 years. We're online CPs now, since they live in Phoenix and I don't anymore.
Draft 3 (August 26-September 3)
To attack this task, I imported Draft 1 into Scrivener and worked chapter by chapter so my brain didn't become overwhelmed and explode. My word count at the end: 8,000.
I Sent to Alpha Readers. This is where my critique partners* read through my story and tell me who they hate and what they hate. Very, very valuable information. *They have been my CPs for 10 years. We're online CPs now, since they live in Phoenix and I don't anymore.
Draft 3 (August 26-September 3)
I created a list of everything that was missing after the initial post-Draft 2 read-through. I looked through my revision checklist that I had gathered from multiple writing books, and I put down ideas for tackling those revisions.
Example: Make Anna charming and likeable.
I inputted those notes to create Draft 3. I put the story back into Word and began formatting it for Createspace. My word count at the end: 10,000.
Draft 4 (September 3-September 5)
Example: Make Anna charming and likeable.
I inputted those notes to create Draft 3. I put the story back into Word and began formatting it for Createspace. My word count at the end: 10,000.
Draft 4 (September 3-September 5)
I put the story on my iPad as a PDF. I read off of that but wrote notes on a legal pad (there were too many notes to put directly on the PDF--talk about creating the feeling of "Overwhelmed!" if I had done that!).
I proofread and revised. I also changed the name from Labor Day to Glampfest. (Labor Day had passed. I didn't want to date it.)
Editor. This is where big picture stuff and really confusing phrasing is caught.
I proofread and revised. I also changed the name from Labor Day to Glampfest. (Labor Day had passed. I didn't want to date it.)
Editor. This is where big picture stuff and really confusing phrasing is caught.
Draft 5 (September 6-September 7)
I proofread and revised superficially for Draft 5. I created my last checklist.
Draft 6 (September 7-September 9)
I proofread and revised for Draft 6, inputting things from that last checklist.
Example from last checklist: Insert more of the mother's voice in Maggie's head.
My word count at the end: 22,000.
What's Left:
Draft 7
-Print out on paper. (My fourth method: the other three methods were Scrivener, Word, and PDF on my iPad.) -Proofread aloud.
-Fix as I go.
-Import into Scrivener.
-Create a Mobi to look for formatting issues.
I Will Send MOBI to Omega Readers.These are romance readers who like romance and aren't overthinking like a writer would be.
Draft 8
Input edits from Omegas.
The Finish Line
I will insert changes. I will publish. I will be awesome.
Example from last checklist: Insert more of the mother's voice in Maggie's head.
My word count at the end: 22,000.
What's Left:
Draft 7
-Print out on paper. (My fourth method: the other three methods were Scrivener, Word, and PDF on my iPad.) -Proofread aloud.
-Fix as I go.
-Import into Scrivener.
-Create a Mobi to look for formatting issues.
I Will Send MOBI to Omega Readers.These are romance readers who like romance and aren't overthinking like a writer would be.
Draft 8
Input edits from Omegas.
The Finish Line
I will insert changes. I will publish. I will be awesome.
The entities I'd like to thank for helping push me make these deadlines and creating a better story:
Writing Challenge: http://writingchallenge.org/septwritingchallenge-badge/
Follow on Twitter with #SeptWritingChallenge
Follow on Twitter with #SeptWritingChallenge
Cherry Adair's Butt in Chair Challenge: https://www.facebook.com/groups/686209854724056/
After I publish the book (September 15 is my go-to date!), I shall be doing this:
After I publish the book (September 15 is my go-to date!), I shall be doing this:
![]() |
| That. Looks. Ah-mazing. |
Because I have a LOT to choose from (this is just 9 of 52 on my Kindle):
![]() |
| Oh where oh where do I start. Me thinks the novella, Beginning Again, since I'm in the midst of Novella City. |
So yes, I am still revising. I had hoped to be done by September 1, but there was too much yet to do.
Then I aimed for September 8, but my energy wasn't up to par with my optimistic expectations (I have to get to bed by 1 am or I'm useless).
I would be ready by September 11, but that's a day that I don't want to launch anything on, out of respect for the day.
(Bad segue alert.) Both of my leads, by the way, are Gingers:
![]() |
| Maggie and Bugs are both redheads. Sparks, sparks, and more sparks! |
Too bad I couldn't have had my story done by on those dates. Maybe once the days are 48 hours long... Or, I could live on Venus. The day there is 116 days long. Um, yes please!
Until next Sunday! (The Eve of the Launch!)










Comments
Post a Comment