Embracing the Shiny New Story



Once upon a time, I received a book contract after answering a classified ad.

Yep. I did. From a Big Five Publisher. In fact, it is the biggest of The Big Five. I got the contract even though I wasn't writing YA. I was writing adult mysteries!

But I went with my gut and went with the shiny and new opportunity, even though I had heard (and keep hearing to this day):

Don't let a new story reel you in.
Finish the one you're on.
Just get to the end, you sloth!

Okay, that last one might be mine.

I will be the first one to tell you not to be lured by the pretty, shiny, highly attractive new story. You know, the one that calls to you like a siren because the other story's turned into a 500-pound naggy hag when you proposed to a 120-pound beauty queen getting her Ph.D. in rocket science.


Caveat

I say this advice is NOT good advice to the new writer who has never, not once, completed a story from start to end that's over at least 20,000 words.

If this is you, you're not allowed to read the rest of this. Put it in a folder on your desktop marked "To be read after I finish a story, from start to end, revised until it has begged for mercy--and I ignored it."


Back to the Story

For the rest of my writing peeps, listen up:

Pick up the shiny new story if it aligns with your goals better. When I answered that classified ad, it aligned with my goals better. Because that mystery I was writing? No one was biting. And my goal? I WANTED SOMEONE TO BITE.


Aligning Goals and How to Do It

In January, I was in this inertia I didn't quite understand. So in the first week of February, after reviewing my January of Blah, I finished my half-finished goals for this year. The last 16 months of this adventure I've been on, Mom Writer with a Deadline, I've had the following goals:

October-December 2013: Start writing again and finish the writing ONE book. CHECK!
January-December 2014: Keep building product. CHECK!!
January-December 2015: Start making money that could pay the mortgage, if need be.

When I saw that mission statement/vision statement of what I wanted to do this year and where I needed to go, I realized that:
  • I wasn't setting myself up to create the money I needed to start the path toward becoming a career author who could do more than than pay for one fancy night out at the movies.
  • I wasn't doing all I could do to heighten my visibility to become a career author. (And no, my self-perceived awesomeness on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook--where I make sure I have fun and don't really sell product, just myself--isn't enough for this goal to be achieved.)
And so I went back to what I needed to do, because this year is also about becoming The Hybrid Author.

And no, the two YAs I did under a different name 8 and 6 years ago, after answering that classified ad, do not count.

And so The New and Shiny Idea is going to help me in that regard. And it's for a publisher I'm loving, who is making this opportunity available in an unconventional way: with no agent, with no query, etc.

I'm going to take them up on that unconventional way, and get this new story "did" by the April deadline.


Because a girl who first started her writing journey answering a classified ad? She does this sort of thing.


The Short of It

Are you doing this sort of thing, my writing peep? Are you:
  • Making sure your goals are written out for the year, not just half-so?
  • Making sure you are looking back at each month, to see if you are happy with your productivity?
  • Making sure you are keeping your eyes open for new opportunities that align with your goals?
  • Making sure that, if you have never finished a story and revised it into submission, that you are saving this post to read later? ;o)
Yeah? You are? You are a rock star.

Come visit me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Sydney Strand is a writer and mom who has published two books through New York and another five via self-publishing. She writes funny little romances, but not of the Red Room of Pain variety. More like the Dan and Roseanne Connor variety--humor is sexy, dontcha know. You can follow Sydney on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and/or you can sign up for her All Things Awesome Newsletter


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing My Story, Finding the Plot Thread, and Understanding My Characters

Contemplating, Reassessing, and Regrouping

Overwhelmed Inertia: Procrastination & Writing